Chaland Espace Mada on The Tsiribihina
Tsiribihina River Descent
( rate based on 4 people )
Descent of Tsiribihina River
Season from 1st April to 15th November.
3 days / 2 Nights cruise.
Trip advised before going to Tsingy of Bemaraha.
Espace Mada Specialist Tsiribihina
Seasonality: 1st April 01 to 30th November
The river descent is recommended at the beginning of your stay as part of a western trip. It is an original route full of discovery, before joining the Tsingy of Bemaraha and the famous alley of the Baobabs in Morondava. The day before the descent you can sleep in Miandrivazo at the hotel “Princess Tsiribihina”
Our expert and committed Local Agency
. Espace Mada has its own barges (Five) and on-site logistics
. Our camp equipment imported from South Africa (spacious tents with mosquito net and thick mattresses)
. A whole team of guides, skippers, cooks based in Miandrivazo, a maintenance and logistics manager Mr Andry
. A close collabiration with the authorities on site (town hall, gendarmerie) this in order to raise awareness of possible security problems
. Assistance to villages along the river (food, medicine, access to water)
. Contact and Partnership with ONG working on the ground: Ar Mada, Marins Sans Frontières
Some links for Tsiribihina tour ideas
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Accessible à tous
Group Size Large Group
Period : Considering various factors (rainy season, state trails, water level ), the period of Tsiribihina river descent is from April to Middle of November included. Climatic factors can shorten or enlarge this period.
Accomodation : Accommodation is in Camp : we provide, igloo tents, mattresses 8cm, pillows, sheets, blankets. The camp is assembled and disassembled by the accompanying staff.
Guiding : The Tsiribihina river descent is guided by a local guide knowing Menabe region.Guides Language : We provide French, English and Italian speaking guides
On the Barge
Crew / Staff : The crew is composed of at least 3 people: a sailor, one help skipper, a cook. Additional staff can come in support if necessary (if the water level is very low, for example). The crews are experienced, know the passages, and the most interesting places for wildlife. Barge Description :
- Type of boat : Barge, one can compare it to a barge. Length 10 to 15 metres, capacity 6 to 20 people depending on the barge.
- Post Steering : 1 skipper and an aide skipper
- Kitchen : 1 stove and an assistant
- Bridge below, 2 parallel with cushion seats, tables for the meal, part shade
- Upper deck, for a more panoramic
Meals : The food during the descent is stored in large coolers and can be kept during the 3 days. Breakfasts copious, and hot meals for lunch and dinner. Beverages: charged to the customer, transported in ice chests (water, beer, coca). The Tsiribihina River :
- Distance : The distance of the descent is around 120 kms.
- Fauna and Flora : Due to its variety, we can compare the Tsiribihina, to a meeting of several nature parks ; a scene very dry and without vegetation, will appear on the dense forests, gorges, cliffs, huge sandbar, the first baobabs announcing the arrival on Morondava. The 2nd day one reaches a waterfall and natural pool.Fauna : lemurs, water turtles, chameleons, crocodiles, herons, sarcelles, humpback ducks, guinea fowl, martin fishermen.
Tsiribihina River integrated in longer Trips
The River Descent could be combinated with other areas. Espace Mada offers 4 trips in complement :
. Menabe Trip ( Tana – Miandrivazo – Tsiribihina – Tsingy – Morondava )
. Big Boucle ( Tsiribihina, Tsingy , Trail Morondava Tuléar, National 7 to Tananarive )
. Tsingy of Bemaraha : after the river descent you can join Bekopaka from Belo Tsiribihina
. Combination West and National 7 : Menabe Trip, transfer Morondava – Antsirabe and National 7
Other Prestations / Espace Mada Tours
Departure around 9am from Miandrivazo, Transfer to the heart of the savannah, for the Pier near the village of Masiakampy. (count 1 hour, 20 minutes of tar, 40 minutes of track). The crew welcomes us on the barge. Barges are motor boats formerly used for the transportation of tobacco. They were then arranged for the transport of tourists. At the back of the barge is the cockpit and the kitchen. Passengers have benches on the lower deck where meals will be served. A staircase leads to the Solarium equipped with deckchairs.
The cruise will begin in the middle of the morning, you will cross vast cultivated plains, will sail along the banks and gorges of Tsiribihina and you will meet the villagers of the river; they are part of the ”Sakalava” ethnic group, their huts are built mainly of reeds, and roofs made of rice straw or palm leaves. In the late afternoon, refreshing stop and swim at the waterfall of Nosy Ampela (women’s island), a small corner of paradise that houses families of lemurs. The Camp will be set up nearby on a large sandbar.
Navigation in the heart of the meanders of the Tsiribihina river
The barge continues its navigation in the heart of the meanders of the Tsiribihina river. You will meet piroguiers, motor barges for the freight of local products and by means of transport and exchange for the villagers. In the day, stop at the village of Begidro famous for its old tobacco concessions. The peasants still cultivate it in a traditional way; you can visit the warehouse. You resume the cruise, landscapes follow one another: cliff bats (Kina Kina), the giant capoquin, rice fields, the village of Berevo, more modern, with a Catholic school, a dispensary and a gendarmerie. At the end of the day, stop for 30 minutes to the village of Ambatomisay to see our first Baobabs ”Andasonia Za”. The crew will put up the Camp on a beach that can change from one year to another, depending on the rains. After dinner, you will participate, around a campfire, in a traditional dance show.
Direction Belo sur Tsiribihna
The landscapes are confused with tamarinds, mango trees, jujube trees, ricins, sensory mimosas, balsas, and date palms. Last day of our cruise to greet once again herons, fishermen, drongos, green bee-eaters, teals, humpback ducks. Arrival at the end of the morning at Tsimafana ( left side of the river if you leave to Morondava), or at Belo sur Tsiribihina if you have to continue to the Tsingy Bemaraha.
La descente du Tsirihina en chaland
Tsiribihina River Descent 3 days / 2 nights – Tariffs year 2023
|Base||Euros per person|
|5 – 6||Base 5 : 190 € -Base 6 : 180 €|
|7 – 8||165 €|
|9 – 12||130 €|
- Tana – Miandrivazo – Boarding point : 320 Euros to be divided by the number of passengers
- Included : 4×4 vehicle, fuel and driver, the transfer is calculated on the basis 4×4 vehicle for 3 days ( Day 1 Tana – Miandrivazo – Day 2 Morning Miandrivazo – Embarkation – Day 2 a.m. and Day 3 : driving back with empty vehicle.
- Miandrivazo – Boarding Point : 65 Euros to be divided by the number of passengers.
- Landing on Tsimafana – Morondava : 115 Euros to be divided by the number of passengers.
Guaranted departure dates :
- Guaranteed departures 2023 from 2 persons ( 165 Euros per person ) :
The 14th – 21st and 28th July
The 01st – 04th– 07th – 10th – 12nd August
The 06th – 24th – 28th October
Mode of Booking and Payment
50% deposit for booking ( bank transfer ).Balance before starting Tana :
- Euros Cash
- CB Visa or Master Card
- Barge, fuel, crew : skipper, cook, and assistant
- English speaking guide.
- One bottle of mineral water per person per day
- Camping equipment (tents, mattresses, sleep, WC )
- The full board without drinks